For over a quarter of a century, a practice group within Hart, King & Coldren has become widely recognized as the premier legal representative for the mobilehome park industry, manufactured housing communities and recreational vehicle park clients throughout California.
As the manufactured housing industry changes, the needs of our clients become more complex. Over the years, we have represented clients in the following areas:
Purchase and sale: Representation relating to purchase and sale of manufactured housing communities.
- Subdivisions/Conversions: Represent park owners during the process of community closure or conversion to another use. Ground lease negotiations and litigation.
- Rent control: Represent community owners in support of rent increases and/or vacancy decontrol.
- Regulatory compliance issues: Federal, state, and local.
- Rules and regulations: Draft rules and regulations that meet the requirements of the community owner and residents according to the Mobilehome Residency Law.
- Lease Negotiation: Preparation of residency documents including short-term and long-term leases.
- Evictions: Representation of behalf of park owner during the eviction process, and park sale of homes in the community to satisfy liens.
- Failure to maintain litigation: Defense of community owners in class action suits filed by tenants.
- Employment issues: Representation of community owners in termination of resident managers, wrongful termination, wage and hour, discrimination claims, and employment contract negotiations.
HK&C attorneys have appeared before municipal, county and state agencies representing community owners in connection with rent control, the restrictive use of land, and advocacy in arbitration and at trial. Given our expertise, HK&C has testified at hearings of the California Senate Select Committee on Manufactured Housing representing community owners interests. We frequently speak at industry conventions and contribute numerous articles to various publications on these subjects.